IN THE PRESS
WHAT TO PACK
CLIMATE AT UMNGAZI
According to ancient Pondo history, when the legendary King Faku found it necessary to execute his enemies at Mlengana (Execution) Rock, their blood “igazi” literally ran down the streams into the river into what is known as the Umngazi River.
Furthermore, in the 19th century, troops from the British Garrison established a fresh water supply point at Umngazi for the soldiers moving between Grahamstown and Port Natal. It still supplies the hotel today.
In fact in 1842, Dick King watered his horses at Umngazi during his epic 1000km ride between Durban and Grahamstown, whilst British soldiers even camped on the present hotel site. During the Frontier Wars of the 1840s, they finally raised the Union Jack at Port St. Johns in 1871.
In 1925 the Leach family established a trading post on the site, and built a few small bungalows for visitors from the gold mines. It was this small outpost that formed the nucleus of the present day hotel. Over the years, the hotel has enjoyed wonderful support and patronage from near and far, many families have returned more than 20 times on their annual holiday. Finally in November 1993 the Goss family acquired Umngazi and embarked on a vigorous programme of refurbishing the “wonderful old lady”. Direct descendants of 1820 Settler Stock, members of this family are no strangers to the region, having lived and worked on the Wild Coast for 135 years.