OUR WINE LIST 2013
RECIPE OF THE MONTH
Recipe of the Month - September 2013
- 5kg Calamari steaks, tubes, tentacles
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 small red onion, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced then chopped crosswise (2.5 cup)
- 1 and ½ cup pitted black olives, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups chopped peeled tomato seeds removed
- 4 celery ribs, chopped in to small pieces
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
Rinse calamari steaks and tenticles under cold running water, then lightly pat dry between paper towels. Cut steaks into 1cm cubes.
Cook calamari steak cubes and the whole tentacles in a pot of boiling salted water , uncovered, until just opaque, 40 to 60 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. When squid is cool, drain and pat dry. Now cut the tentacles into smaller pieces to be uniform with the steak cubes.
Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then stir in onion and let stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine calamari, olives, tomatoes, celery, in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper. Let stand at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Serve in glasses on a bed of very finely sliced Ice Berg Lettuce topped with a Lemon Wedge and a sprig of Fresh Coriander.